Visa Requirements
Current British Travel AdviceFuelRoadsLocal AdviceEmergencyCostsGiftsBordersAccomodationWild Life
Other sources of information

Visa Requirements / Customs and Excise
Clogs, Copyright Jenny RolloNo visa requirements for Holland as it’s part of the EU – no problems with border crossing but we do have to pay attention to what we can take into and out of the country. Information regarding the Netherlands Customs department for travelers can be found here (in English). Because the Netherlands are part of the EU there is, in principle, free movement of goods – but subject to the normal Excise Goods list.

  • 110 litres of beer;
  • 90 litres of wine;
  • 20 litres of fortified wine, such as sherry or port;
  • 10 litres of spirits;
  • 800 cigarettes;
  • 400 cigarillos or cigars;
  • 1 kilogram of smoking tobacco.

If  we need information regarding the process or forms etc then we can contact the Customs Help Line for the Netherlands.

Current British Travel Advice
Fuel (availability, quality and cost)
Fuel is widely available and is about ;€1.36 per litre (as at 30/09/06)AA Roadwatch petrol price table
State of roads
Generally very good, main roads are very well maintained and should not offer us a problem – we do need to consider that if we want to cross the country at speed we will need to pay for the toll roads.
Local embassy advice (phone call to the local British embassy)
The British Embassy in Holland can be found here – complete contact details are available from the website – in case of emergency in the country we should contact ++31 (0) 70 4270 427
Emergency advice
The British Embassy in The Hague can help us – we should call ++31 (0) 70 4270 427 24 hours a day – medical cover in Holland is as the rest of the Europe with the EHIC card – specific details on services available with that card in Holland can be found here
Cost of everyday items
Holland is as the rest of the EU – cheaper than the UK! But food etc are around the same price.
Usual cost of ‘gifts
No gifts required.
Border routines Inward
EU ‘border-less’ crossing, normal rules apply as rest of EU – passport required – customs to be declared.
Border Routines Outward
As above
Cost of accommodation – towns / villages – camping, B&B, hotels
Not Applicable – but consistant with rest of Western Europe
Wild life.. bears?!
Not usual!
Is there something we’ve missed? Then PLEASE let us know :-)